NRT's Kevin Davis rounds up ten of the top re-imagined hymn renditions from recent releases.
Recently there has been a growing wave of cornerstone voices in the industry providing their own takes on classic hymns. Last year, Amy Grant released Be Still and Know -- Hymns & Faith. Early this year, Michael W. Smith released his new album Hymns II: Shine On Us, a collection of classic songs and contemporary hymns, and Audrey Assad released Inheritance. This is a list of my top ten favorite modern versions of classic faith songs that stir my soul and cause my heart to reflect in awe and wonder on the majesty and grace of our loving Savior Jesus. The contemporized arrangements, new choruses and sometimes complete reworkings help these deep and meaningful songs shine.
I didn't grow up as a Christian or listening to hymns in my youth. I wasn't saved until after college in my twenties. As a result, I have a fresh emotional connection to hymns. The truth of the words cut very close to my heart. I did live my life clinging to something other than Jesus. I did have idols in my life other than Jesus. I can sing these songs with abandon partly because I have regrets that I lived any of my life without knowing these truths.
Here are my Top 10 Favorite Modern Versions of Hymns.
1. "Holy, Holy, Holy" by Audrey Assad from Inheritance
2. "Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus" by Casting Crowns from Glorious Day: Hymns of Faith
3. "Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone)" by Chris Tomlin from See The Morning
4. "You Are My Vision" by Rend Collective from Organic Family Hymnal
5. "Be Still and Know" by Amy Grant from Be Still and Know -- Hymns & Faith
6. "Rock of Ages" by Jimmy Needham from The Hymns Sessions Vol. 1
7. "I Need Thee Every Hour" by Jars of Clay from 20
8. "Because He Lives" by David Crowder Band from Give Us Rest
9. "Nearer My God to Thee" by Michael W. Smith from Hymns II: Shine On Us
10. "Nothing but the Blood" by Keith & Kristyn Getty from Hymns for the Christian Life
NRT Lead Contributor Kevin Davis is a longtime fan of Christian music, an avid music collector and credits the message of Christian music for leading him to Christ. He lives in Pennsylvania with his wife and three daughters.
NEW! ALBUM REVIEW
Kayne West - 'Jesus Is King' NRT's Dwayne Lacy reviews the new gospel...
NEW! EXCLUSIVE DEVOTIONAL
#995 - "What You Said" by Jon Egan Worship leader talks about the inspiration...
NEW! NRT LISTS
Women of Faith Rock Edition Introducing eight female-fronted rock bands...